Monday 25 February 2013

Best almond croissant ever - Alsatian patisserie in Toronto

I saw the almond croissant on the table as I walked into the patisserie - I knew I have to have it.   When I sat down at my table with my croissant, the woman at the next table took a bite of hers and said, "This is the best almond croissant I have ever tasted in my life!".  I looked at her and said, "Really?"  She looked like she is thirtysomething, haven't been around for long for sure but it set the right tone for my first bite.  And what a sensation it was!  Biting through the crunchy top layers, toasted almonds breaking up in my mouth, warm almond paste spilling onto my palette, then gently (trying to act civilized) tearing through more soft and crunchy layers  - it was heavenly!  

This IS the best almond croissant I have ever tasted!  It's better than the ones I'd tried in Paris, the home of the croissant.  The layers, density and consistency of the dough were all just right, as was the filling - it literally filled the croissant from end to end.  This is one instance where it doesn't matter how the croissant was cut up if we were sharing.  And of course, in the end, after I finished my half, I had to go and get another one, my lenten resolve shredded in pieces.  





After I calmed down enough to look around me, I found myself surrounded by the most exquisite pastries and cakes.  I thought I was sitting in a Parisian cafe.  But this is the Patisserie la Cigogne on Bayview Avenue, an Alsatian patisserie in Toronto.   The photos speak for themselves.








I visited on a Sunday afternoon around 1:45 pm - in case you want to time your visit when the almond croissants are still warm...




Patisserie La Cigogne on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment