Saturday 25 January 2014

Trattoria la Casalinga - homecooking in the Oltrano

We were told that we've got to try the famous tripe in Florence so we made an effort to try it at least once in a restaurant.   Our landlord had recommended the Trattoria la Casalinga to us as a neighbourhood family-run restaurant where we could taste some real Italian homecooking.  The husband and wife team ran the restaurant with their sons and daughters working as wait staff - a true family business.  As it turned out, the restaurant was on quite a number of lists, including Rick Steves' and so we were lucky to get a seat when we got there at opening.  Even as we were eating, people started lining up inside the restaurant (there was no lobby).

We ordered the tripe - it was a  big serving.  To our surprise, the San Deigo couple at the table beside us asked if they could try some of our tripe - they've probably read the same tour book we did but didn't have the guts to order a whole plate.  Of course we didn't mind and was glad someone was sharing the cholesterol.  They offered to share their tagliatelle in exchange and I also obliged - I never refuse free food... 

Trippa alla fiorentina


The pasta with pesto was perfectly al dente and delicious
The veal too was good as was the blueberry tart dessert - basically I just went up to the bakery case and pointed - they do take out too

What a sorry hungry-looking bunch!


2 comments:

  1. I love trippa alla fiorentina!! The tripe in your picture looks so tender... (I looked at the menu of this trattoria online. I could eat there every night.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, when I looked at the online menu, I wish I had tried more of the other stuff - the tongue and the pig's trotters for example. But the in-house menu was in italian and the waiter's English wasn't very good. There was no google translate so I didn't see those dishes on the menu. It's also possible that the online menu included all the seasonal stuff.

    ReplyDelete