Tuesday 6 January 2015

No knead bread - whole wheat

So I experimented with whole wheat no knead bread.  It worked as expected.  I followed the ingredients in the recipe on the Jo Cooks blog, but used the same technique as for the white bread - 4 cups of wheat flour, 2 tsp salt, 2 cups water and 1 tsp yeast overnight  (Jo used 3/4 tsp but I used 1 tsp for lack of a proper measure).  

I noticed that the NY Times whole wheat recipe added rye and corn meal to the wheat flour and took less rising time.  Since my dough was quite cool in the morning, I decided to leave it longer in the kitchen which was quickly warming up with a south facing exposure. But I'll definitely try mixing in the rye flour and corn meal next time to perhaps  give it a lighter texture.  Unlike the white bread recipe, this NY Times recipe did not use a cast iron pot but used a regular loaf pan instead, which would be a plus for bakers who don't own a cast iron pot, however useful it can be.

Given the almost anything goes nature of this no knead bread, I think one can safely try experimenting with different times, ingredients, utensils, etc. I am certainly going to continue the experiment when I get home!


Fold after taking it out of the bowl

Floured and flipped over on a cotton towel, cover, let rise for two hours, and flip again seam side down into Dutch oven.

This is what it looked like when done




Great texture!




No comments:

Post a Comment